If you avoid unnecessary proliferation of parts unnecessary components, assemblies or products will not arise at all or will not reach the release stage. Measures to avoid unnecessary proliferation of parts lead to avoidance of unnecessary work as well as efficiency improvements in engineering, materials handling, purchasing, work preparation, manufacturing and sales.
Benefit of avoiding unnecessary part proliferation and variance:
- Avoiding unnecessary new developments in engineering and focus on real innovations.
- Avoiding duplicates, increasing re-use and avoiding unnecessary creation of new parts in materials handling.
- Avoiding unnecessary procurement processes, such as supplier selection, procurement inquiries, price negotiations and data maintenance in purchasing.
- No creation of unnecessary work plans.
- No unnecessary start of the production run.
- Less spare parts to manage and shorter delivery times for spare parts in service.
- Faster product configurations and calculations, shorter delivery times and higher margins in sales.
Measures to achieve avoidance of unnecessary part proliferation and variance:
- Integrated creation and classification processes
- Integrated duplicate analysis and approval processes
- 3D search and part maps
- Engineering catalogs & their libraries